Tuesday 31 July 2007

Climbing

Last night, in lieu of an upper body workout, I tried climbing for the first time at The Castle in Stoke Newington, with Andy (by design) and James (by accident). Andy, who treats it as a form of working out, climbs like a gorilla; all upper body strength and dynamic moves. James, who climbs every week, has a single figure BF% and a 6'4" armspan, climbs like a monkey; balancing, contorting and gripping with only his fingertips.
I managed several 4a and 4b runs, but found 4c far too difficult. Andy fared slightly better; James was climbing 6a runs and bouldering using only features.

I'm not sure whether it was adrenalin or my muscles giving out; but after every roped climb my limbs were shaking.
By the end, my fingers and forearms hurt like hell, and my left knee had taken quite a bruising - which didn't help any with this lunchtime's boot camp.

I'll probably do it again, even though my physique seems quite maladapted to it.

No comments: