Tuesday 3 July 2007

Supersets 2: Triceps, Chest, Legs and Abs

I was dead chuffed with this session. I'd under-slept the night before, and wasn't even sure if I would make it to the gym, between that and how much my muscles still ached from the last session. Though knackered when I arrived, by the time we hit the skull-crushers adrenalin had kicked in (or perhaps the CEE I'd munched just before leaving the office), and the rest of the workout was brilliant. Never thought I'd lift that 40kg bar, even if my muscles gave out one shy of a full set. We were there for two hours, and even got in some boxing in the end. Class.

Today, I've got a burn in my chest, abs, and bizarrely, my upper back - but the part that really canes is my quads. I can barely walk!

ExerciseWarmupSet 1Set 2Set 3
Cable Pushdown15×20kg12×45kg10×50kg8×55kg
Triceps Dip12×-40kg10×-30kg10×-20kg
15×6kg
15×20kg
12×12kg
12×30kg
10×14kg
10×35kg
8×16kg
7×40kg
Medicine Ball Incline Crunch30×3kg30×3kg
Weighted Lying Straight Leg Raise20×2kg20×2kg20×2kg
Overhead Medicine Ball Lunge20×4kg20×4kg20×4kg

†: Throwing the medicine ball and catching it between crunches.
‡: With a medicine ball held overhead (rather than a barbell on shoulders as illustrated). Last set with eyes closed to increase core stability work.

The numbers for the triceps dip are low because I was concentrating on perfecting my form, and using a full range of motion. My shoulders are sufficiently inflexible that I can't hold a barbell behind my neck comfortably - so this was hard work, and I felt it almost entirely in my shoulders rather than my chest or triceps.

No comments: