Wednesday 30 May 2007

Partnered training

If anyone's in any doubt as to how much difference training with a partner makes, have a lot at these stats from my session last night with Andy - the numbers in brackets after the third set are the percentage improvement over my previous PB:

ExerciseWarmupSet 1Set 2Set 3
Smith Bench Press12×27kg12×47kg10×57kg8×62kg(+32%)
Dumbbell Arnold Press12×5kg12×7kg10×9kg8×12kg(+33%)
Decline Skullcrusher12×15kg12×25kg10×30kg8×35kg (+113%)
Chin-up
555
Incline Crunch
202530


As you can tell, we really pushed ourselves, and each other. His exercise log shows a similarly impressive improvement.
Tonight, we're going to pummel our legs. Tomorrow I suspect will be a day of rest - I probably won't even be able to climb stairs.

Update: After some discussion, I'm going to count the smith machine bar as 7kg, not 18. Though means my lifts aren't as impressive, it means my gains are more so, so it's all good.

3 comments:

Andy Whitehead said...

So you were benching more than me? Odd, I don't remember it that way!

Alex said...

Nope - but you've counted the bar as 7kg rather than 18. This thread would suggest that a smith machine bar isn't generally counterweighted.

Gym Buddy said...

I think a smith machine bar IS counterbalanced so that it ways 0kg (at least i'm sure the one in my gym was!). Why not save the arguing by using free weights? Free Weights are a lot better as they trigger your stabilizer muscles, working your body more naturally and will help burn more calories as you are incorporating more muscle fibres into the exercise!