Thursday 31 May 2007

Legs

Not the best session ever. I forgot to pack my shorts, so had to race round Victoria trying to get new ones. I was sufficiently late that Andy had disappeared off to Boot Camp by the time I'd arrived, so I worked out alone, and pressed for time. The results aren't great:

ExerciseWarmupSet 1Set 2Set 3
Dumbell Squat12×12kg12×16kg10×18kg8×20kg
Cable Standing Calf Raise12×56kg12×84kg10×91kg8×98kg (+11%)
Barbell Deadlift12×12kg12×32kg10×37kg8×39.5kg

†: Standing on a Bosu Ball.

I'm particularly concerned about my deadlift technique. My upper back hurts a lot more than it should, which makes me wonder if I'm hunching during the lift without realising it at the time. I also have a pain just below my lowest right rib, which is bizarre. It may be necessary to drop the weights even further 'till I get the technique right.

Also, the Bosu ball dumbbell squat. I was taught this was a great core stability exercise, but Charles Poliquin would appear to disagree:
The BOSU ball is a Swiss ball for morons! Again, when you stand on it you're always bowlegged. Why do you want to get into a position that's not good for your knees and ankles?

Quite happy with Andy's suggestion to use a cable machine for calf raises - it seems to work a treat.

No comments: